May 7, 2010

Letters to Mother

This small bundle of letters was obtained for a couple dollars on a recent thrifting trip. When I returned home and opened them I found they were written to a woman named Hattie by her daughter Lillian in 1935. There is nothing out of the ordinary in the correspondence, just an exchange of daily news, weather and inquiries into the well-being of loved ones back home. Anyhow, I thought it would be the perfect treat to share with you for Mother's Day.

It's unnecessary to point out how much our favored modes of communication have changed since 1935. I do know that my Mom reads this blog so excuse me for a moment while I say, "Happy Mother's Day Mom! How 'bout we Skype at some point on Sunday?"

Have a beautiful weekend! 

3 comments:

  1. What a treasure. Make you wonder how it the bundle ended up in a thrift shop. Love the ink and penwomanship. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good find! my daughter's name is lillian. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Glad you enjoyed these old letters. Yes, it's interesting these letters were so carefully saved for years and then ended up in a thrift shop. I'm glad I spotted them so I could "rescue" them :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...